Today I ran a 10k with my daughter in Fort Collins. Called the Fortitude 10k in its second year, the course ran through Old Town Fort Collins, starting at Moby Arena on Colorado State University’s Moby Arena and ending at the new stadium on Colorado State’s campus.
The weather was perfect for running. Start of the race was right around 60 degrees. It was a flat, fast course. At about mile 4, my daughter passed me, but I passed her at the end to finish 3 seconds in front of her. We ran around the stadium inside and then up the stairs to the vendors.
Tips for Recovery from 10k Race
- Hydrate. This is key. Drink a lot of electrolytes.
- Rest. Take a nap if possible and go to bed early that night, giving your body a chance to repair itself.
- Take a bath. Hot water will soothe your sore muscles and relax them.
- Get a massage. This is a great way to flush out those toxins accumulated during muscle break down. Wait a few days however for optimal results.
- Eat. Healthy of course.
- Compression gear can help.
- Vegetate. You deserve it!
This was only my 2nd 10k, after the Garden of the Gods 10k in June. I PR’ed (personal record) by almost 8 minutes because this course had no hills.
My favorite races are still 5k’s. I feel that’s the optimal distance for my body. This one was fun. It was a good day!