I just returned from doing CrossFit Open Workout 18.1:
AMRAP 20 min:
8 Toes to bar
10 dumbbell hang clean and jerks
12 calories on the rower
My score: 267
It was okay. I wanted 10 rounds and didn’t quite get 9 rounds. I may re-do it, but I’m unsure. The row seemed to go on forever.
The atmosphere was great. We all supported one another and cheered one another on.
Still, something was missing, and I can’t put my finger on it. It was different than last year. I think I had all this hype built up in my head, and it was a bit of a let down. I’m unsure. I have such high expectations of myself, and I was disappointed in how I did.
All I know is the Open is different for me this year. It will probably be different next year. And the following…
Today is the day a lot of us CrossFitters have been waiting months for.
18.1. The announcement. What will it be?
I’m not here to predict (we’ll all find out soon enough).
I’m here to offer up tips and advice so you can “crush” the Open. We all have different goals for the Open and different ways we’ll crush it. Some of us it’s doing all the workouts RX (or as prescribed). Some of us want to beat our score/rank from last year. Most of us want to test our fitness against others. Most of us want to do our best. So read below for tips to achieve your best:
- DON’T CHANGE ONE THING! Keep your workout routine the same and approach this WOD the same. Eat the same way. Sleep the same way. Workout the same way. It’s just another workout.
- DON’T IGNORE THE MENTAL GAME. Understand what you can control and what you can’t. You can’t control others. You can’t control what the WOD will be. You can control how you perform. Don’t psych yourself out over this.
- BE IN IT FOR THE LONG HAUL. This is a 5 week competition in essence. 5 workouts you need to do your best on. That being said, there will be one or two workouts that will play to your strengths. Maximize these. There will be one or two workouts that won’t. Minimize the hurt potential on these. Go into each WOD thinking you will crush it.
- WAIT TILL AFTER WEEK 5 TO CELEBRATE. Have a beer after week 5, not week 1, 2, etc. Don’t waste a day or two of training because you’re hungover or ate junk food. Respect the process.
- SLOW AND STEADY WILL WIN THE RACE. Don’t be so hyped up with the hype that you go all out in the first 2 minutes of the workout and then have nothing left. Be conservative. Your score will reflect your patience.
- HAVE FUN! Most of you will do this on Friday Night during Friday Night Lights with the community that drew you to CrossFit in the first place and the reason you keep beating up your body day-in and day-out. Enjoy the party. The atmosphere. The camaraderie. The magic that happens once a year.
I keep telling myself to breathe and relax because I REALLY want to beat my ranking from last year. I’m trying to sleep enough. Eat enough. And not do anything stupid.
Believe in yourself. Because in the end that’s all that matters.