Has this ever happened to you? You show up to do your WOD/workout and it was exactly what your body needed that day?
This happens to me occasionally and today’s workout was exactly what I needed after my CrossFit competition on Saturday.
I warmed up with cardio: an EMOM (every minute on the minute) of row, burpees, and double unders–perfect to get the body warmed and work all your muscles.
The workout was 5 rounds for time of:
- 15 cal row
- 10 bar-facing burpees
- 5 power cleans, climbing in weight each round
I had so much fun doing this I did an extra round! It was one of those workouts you never want to stop. You just want to keep going and going and going…like the Energizer bunny.
I polished it off with some strength work and felt amazing even though my arms are still incredibly sore from Saturday’s CrossFit competition.
Recovery Tips for CrossFit Competitions
- Hydration. You used a ton of energy in one day and you need to replenish. Drink water till your heart’s content.
- Active Recovery. Take one day off and then get moving! Get your muscles working to get rid of the lactic acid build up and start feeling better sooner.
- If you’re sore in some areas, work the others. Give your body time to rest, but that doesn’t mean don’t do anything. Work your legs if your arms are sore and vice versa.
- Don’t kill yourself in the next few days, trying to beat the best guy in your box. The last thing you want is a strain or injury.
- Listen to your body. Do what it’s telling you: rest, recover, light exercise, massage, etc.
Every CrossFit competition is different. After some CrossFit competitions, I’m fine and not sore at all. After other CrossFit competitions, I’m wrecked and need more recovery time.
Find a workout that’s right for you where you’re at right now. You’ll feel so much better afterwards and be on the road to recovery. Happy Competing!