If you’re like me, getting out of bed in the morning can be rough, especially if you’re exhausted, sore, cold, and sleep deprived.
This morning, the absolute last thing I wanted to do was workout. I’m sore still from heavy snatches. My wrist has been hurting for some reason. I just have no motivation, and my mental capacity is not there.
3 Tips for When You Don’t Want to Get Out of Bed
- Have a motivating factor. For me, this is coffee and my space heater. I heat up the bathroom and sit in there for a few minutes. Then I drink coffee.
- Go over in your mind your day. This helps me get started when I think of all the things I have to do that day, and all the things I just want to be over (like heavy snatches).
- Keep in mind the end game. I love it when I’m done for the day, and I just get to sit and do my own thing (like blogging!). Work is part of life but we all live for play — whatever that looks like for you. Get work over with, so you can do what you want to do with the rest of your day.
3 Tips for When You Don’t Want to Go to the Gym
- Do your own workout at home that caters to your needs. Today, I didn’t want to do anything heavy or any pulling. So I came up with my own workout of the day (WOD): 200 m run, 10 sit ups, 10 push ups, and 10 air squats for AMRAP 20 (as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes). It was perfect as an active recovery, and what I needed that day.
- If you’re not there mentally, take a rest day. Today there was no way I was going to accomplish any workout cause I needed a mental break. Sometimes you don’t have to push yourself. Rest days are okay.
- Go for a walk. I find being outside — no matter what I’m doing — is more exhilarating than a workout sometimes. Take a walk, listen to nature, and ponder the universe. We all need to do this occasionally.
You know yourself better than anyone. Listen to what your body needs, and don’t stress about a change in routine. Your mind and body will thank you!