Yesterday, I competed in a CrossFit competition called Project Uplift 4.0 (the 4th year of this event). I got placed on a team last minute whose other teammate couldn’t compete. It was a team from CrossFit Miramont, which is where I started CrossFit about 2 1/2 years ago.
This year the teams for this CrossFit competition were 4 person–2 guys and 2 girls. I competed last year (my first CrossFit competition) and it was only teams of 2, same sex.
I didn’t know my teammates. They were nice, however. The competition was fierce. We had a strength challenge of 1 snatch, 2 hang snatches and 3 overhead squats. I did okay in this.
The next one was an AMRAP of 16 minutes that did not play to my strengths. Toes to bar, pull ups, dumbbell box step overs, and devil’s press. All the moves were brutal. Add in the 90 degree heat, and it was definitely challenging.
During Workout #2, one of my teammates had to quit the synchronized deadlifts with his partner because of his back, so we came in last in that event.
The Floater was a bike and a run–the only one I crushed.
Overall, fun day and a great CrossFit competition. They had a lot of vendors and a ton of stuff for the kids to do. My son played in the bounce house all day long. I hardly saw him. And he came home and passed out (as did I). My daughter was my official photographer (of which you see her work here). Fun.
Such a fun venue. It’s outdoors at Whole Foods Market, so amenities (and by amenities I mean coffee) is close by. Indoor bathrooms. Definitely do this one again next year. I was a bit sore this morning but not too bad.
Thanks, Miramont, for the last minute nod. It was a blast!
Here are Tips for Outdoor CrossFit Competitions:
- Sunscreen. Use it often and frequently.
- Drink lots of water. More than you think you’ll need. Dehydration is a real threat.
- Sunglasses. The CrossFit competition will be brutal without a good pair of sunglasses.
- Flip flops. At the end of the day after sweating so much, free your feet! Bring flip flops.
- Cooler. Cool drinks will be the key to staying hydrated, feeling satisfied, and feeling upbeat as the day goes on.
- Damp clothes throughout the day to stay cool.
- A generator if you’re going all out with a fridge, microwave, and fans.
- Tents. This is a must to stay out of the sun.
- Chairs. This is an ABSOLUTE must. Sitting on the ground sucks.
- Food. More than you think you’ll need. This goes for drinks as well.
- Eat. Even if you don’t feel like it. You have to or you won’t make it.
- Book. You’ll have usually at least an hour between heats. Having something to pass the time makes a huge difference. I finished my car book finally. It was good.
- Arrive early. I can’t tell you the difference a good parking place means at the end of the day when you can barely walk to your car.
- Have fun! It’s not about winning. It’s about doing things you normally wouldn’t do and challenging yourself and having fun! Otherwise, you are wasting your time.
I had such a fun day with my teammates and my kids and all the other competitors. We raised money for Kids at Heart, an organization that supports foster and adoption families. When you combine CrossFit and a cause, amazing things happen. Awesome!